How To Protect Yourself in the Hospital
100,000 Americans die from medical care in the hospital every year
- Bring a list of medications and allergies
- Ask your doctor or nurse, “Did you wash your hands before coming into my room including using an alcohol dispenser?”
- What is that pill?
- What test am I going to?
- Did you clean your stethoscope?
- When there is a change of shift – introduce yourself to new nurses and doctors. Tell them about your illnesses and allergies
- Elderly – get a sitter to watch patient at night and prevent falls and have a designated family member call doctor once a day
- Write down a list of questions for the doctor so you don’t forget
- How many times have you done this procedure?
- Are you in a private room?
- Does your hospital have a rapid response team?